Translate

03 February 2014

Day 2 D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop: First person who you introduced to D&D

    (Second catch-up post from the busted water pipe weekend. Only one more to go and then I'm caught up.)

As I mentioned in the previous post, my friends and I weren't introduced to D&D by someone so much as we had heard rumors of it and decided we wanted to play. We had to teach ourselves to play, something which I suspect was not uncommon for people of my age range. There were four of us, and until we started playing at lunch in high school, we didn't know if anyone else would be interested. As it turned out there were a fair number of people who ended up joining us. Some played only once or twice, some stayed with us until high school graduation or longer. The first person, and one who gamed with us the rest of our time in high school was Mike. He saw us playing and thought it looked like fun. The group caught him up to speed on the rules, which were that weird mash-up of Moldvay/Cook and AD&D we were using. (They changed every time one of us bought a new rulebook. We were going to get our money's worth out of anything we actually paid for.) I don't actually remember his first character, probably because he didn't play it for very long. He quickly became our groups primary GM. It wasn't until much later that I realized how lucky we were in finding Mike. He was a great GM, and ran some of the most enjoyable games I ever played in.

No comments:

Post a Comment